Spinach Pesto Pasta with Shrimp
2 cups packed fresh baby spinach
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup seeded chopped plum tomato
6 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces uncooked whole-wheat penne pasta
1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 2-in. pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 pound large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup halved multicolored grape tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. To prepare pesto, bring a large saucepan filled with water to a boil. Add spinach and basil; cook 20 seconds. Remove spinach mixture to a bowl filled with ice water (reserve water in pan); let stand 30 seconds. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Place parsley and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) in food processor; process until finely chopped. Add spinach mixture and 2 tablespoons oil; process to combine. Place 3/4 cup pesto in a small bowl; place plastic wrap directly on pesto.
3. To prepare pasta, return water in pan to a boil. Add pasta; cook according to package directions, adding asparagus during last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high until butter melts. Sprinkle shrimp with red pepper and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add shrimp to pan; cook 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove shrimp from pan.
5. Add pasta mixture and reserved 3/4 cup cooking liquid to pan; cook 1 minute. Stir in remaining 6 tablespoons pesto, shrimp, grape tomatoes, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Divide pasta mixture evenly among 4 bowls.