Spicy tomato parmesan stuffed spaghetti squash
2 medium spaghetti squash, halved and seeds removed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, smashed
kosher salt and black pepper
1 can (14 ounce) san marzano tomatoes
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
1/2 cup basil pesto
8 ounces mozzarella, torn
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs (optional)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Place the squash on a plate and microwave 3 minutes. Let cool slightly, then cut in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and discard.
3. Place the squash in a baking dish and rub the cut sides with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Place 1 garlic clove in the center of each squash. Transfer to the oven and bake 30-40 minutes, until the squash is tender and the garlic roasted.
4. In a blender or food processor, combine the roasted garlic cloves, tomatoes, paprika, oregano, crushed red pepper, fennel, and onion powder. Season with salt and pepper. Pulse until combined, about 1 minute. Stir in the basil and pesto.
5. Spoon the tomato sauce evenly into each spaghetti squash half. Top with mozzarella, bread crumbs, if using, and parmesan. Return to the oven and roast another 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
6. Let the squash sit 5 minutes, then use a fork to scrape the squash into strands, mixing the cheese with the squash. Serve topped with fresh basil.